Nuwara Eliya is located at the heart of the hill country 6182 feet above from the sea level. The town is situated at 74 km away along Kandy-Nuwara Eliya road and this was rediscovered by British in 1827. It is still very much like an old English town with styled Bungalows and buildings. The cool calm climate, gorges rolling tea plantation which makes the best 'Ceylon tea' and the breathtaking beautiful waterfalls makes Nuwara Eliya one of the most beautiful town in the world.History of Nuwara Eliya.
Nuwara Eliya can be treated as one of the most beautiful nature creations in the world and it is the most beautiful city in Sri Lanka. Even though British claim that Nuwara Eliya was found in 1827 by British hunting party it was known to Sri Lankan long before. It is said that the British governor Sir Edward Bans (1824-1831) was very much interested about the cool climate Nuwara Eliya had and build a bungalow called 'Bans Hall'. He is treated as the person who encouraged the human settlements of Nuwara Eliya. During these times other buildings were also build such as St Andrews and Carlton. The 'Bans Hall' is converted to a hotel called 'Grand Hotel' later with more than 150 rooms.
The person behind the Agricultural revolution of Nuwara Eliya was Sir Samuel Baker who came to Sri Lanka in the year of 1845. The farm started by Baker got popular as 'Bakers Farm'. To commemorate Baker there is a monument at the location of his farm and there is a word called 'Baker's ward' at Nuwara Eliya hospital to remember him.
The Governor during the time of 1872-1877 Sir William Gregory choused the capital as Nuwara Eliya and the development became fast. He built a lake called Gregory Lake within the city limits which has become a popular tourist attraction of Nuwara Eliya.
Modern times Nuwara Eliya is a place where people come for enjoy the cool relaxing climate and for the summer festivals. Summer comes to Nuwara Eliya end of March. Once summer comes the city becomes a crowded place with thousands of local and foreign visitors. During this time Nuwara Eliya becomes a beautiful place with all sorts of festivals taking place. The festivals are organized by the municipal council of the town and the most highlighted events are The fox hill motor cross, motor bicycle races, boat races and horse races at the race course.
Nuwara Eliya Golf Course is more than 100 years old and it is spreads over 90 acres. This 18 hole golf course is well known as all the holes are visible from the Club House.
Horton plain is the only mountain National Park which has an area of 3,162 ha. The park is one hour away from Nuwara Eliya. Best months to visit are April and August.
Backers fall is located in the Horton plain, you can reach this place by traveling about 1 km off north east of 'worlds end'. This magnificent fall originates from the Belehuloya which is a tributary of 'Walawe river'.
Hakgalla Garden is located along Nuwara Eliya ~ Badulla road (along Kandy~Ramboda) This place is 5581 feet high from the sea level. It is said that the King 'Rawana' used this place as a herbal garden. This place was started as a Botanical garden by British botanist Dr. G.H.K. Thwaites who was the director of 'Peradiniya Botanical Garden ' in the year of 1859. Initially they grew ' sinkona' which was used to produce ' quiveenen' for malaria. There are more than 60000 species of plants have planted here. During the summer season this one of the most scenic places of Nuwara Eliya.
With the cool climate of Nuwra Eliya many differnt kinds of plants from differnt parts of the world can be seen. For example conifers and cedars from Australia, Bermuda cypresses from the Himalayas English oak are some of the highlights.
Victoria Park was established in 1897 as for the jubilee of Queen Victoria in completion of sixty years on here thorn.The park is within the city limits and it has become a must see location anyone who visit Nuwara Eliya. During the summer the park is filled with colorful roses and various flowers where you wont be able to see them in any other city of Sri Lanka.
This 50 feet long 6feet wide wooden bridge is magnificent creation of ancient craftsman's of Sri Lanka. It is believed that this wooden bridge belongs to the 'Dambadeniya' era. This ancient bridge is located in 'Boogoda Raja Maha Vihara' premises and built across the 'Gallanda oya'. The interesting this of this wooden bridge is that it is built upon two wooden bars which are fixed in to stone holes of that location and there are 10 pillars on each side of the bridge and a roof is fixed to this pillars. No nails are used here.
Article By: News24usa Webmaster
Category : Tourist Attraction Places
08th December, 2017 | 12:47